What Is Follicular Unit Transplantation (Fut) Hair Transplant Or Strip Harvesting ?
Earlier the surgeons extracted large strips of hair tissue from patients back of the head, the whole hair transplant techniques revolutionised by the FUT treatment, leading you to easily implant the larger amount of individual hair follicles to areas of hair loss. FUT takes lesser time with a higher survival rate of the transplanted hair follicles, which produces excellent natural outcome with minimal scarring*.
Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT Hair Transplants), also known as strip harvesting is considered to be the most popular hair restoration procedure at Harley Hair Transplant Clinic. The procedure allows the surgeon to transplant thousands grafts in a single session, maximising the cosmetic impact of this procedure. During the transplantation, a strip of hair tissue is taken either from the back or the sides of the scalp and then transplanted into the area of hair loss.
What Happens During The Procedure?
Our surgeons will take a strip of healthy hair tissue from the scalp, which is then dissected into individual hair follicles and finally implanted into hair loss areas. If patients come with a good supply of donor hair, in one session nearly 3,000 grafts can be implanted.
Why Have An Fut Hair Transplant?
By the time one is nearing 30, every third man is losing their hair, whereas 40% of men are losing hair by the time they reach 40. Men who are above 50 are showing signs of possible baldness. Approximately about nine out of ten patients approaching at Harley Hair Transplant Clinic are seeking lifelong remedy or solution to their baldness. About 10% of our patients being women experiences problems with hair thinning where the other half experience hair loss. The problem of hair loss is an issue for both men and women, who can extensively benefit from FUT procedure. We treat patients with hair transplantation for the following reasons:
- Scarring results from any sort of physical facial trauma or injury, such as industrial accidents, road accidents or thermal and chemical burns.
- For any surgical or medical purpose. Surgically treating any tumour or injury results in elimination of tissue or hair scarring, or treating for chemotherapy or radiotherapy undergone for cancer rsulting in hair loss.
- By far the most popular reason is cosmetic: men find that hair loss can damage their self-esteem and even their career prospects. Hair Transplantation is the only way of restoring hair since transplantation is lifelong lasting for rest of the life.
All men who are in advanced stage of baldness sports a look of horse-shoe shaped hair loss on their sides and back of their scalp. This adds a advantage for surgeon since it is a stable donor area which can help in covering the future areas of loss of hair. We generally operate on patients who are 25 or aged over, where we try to establish what kind of pattern hair loss it might be. Before 25, there is no exact or permanent established pattern and is not ideal to operate for the patient’s best interest.
What Are The Advantages Of Fut?
- Is a faster process of transplanting hair follicles
- Has a higher hair follicle survival rate providing better chances of procedure success
- Is designed to achieve a healthy and natural look post surgery
- Is considered to be a better option for covering a wide area of scalp affected by hair loss
- Right after the procedure ends, just within 30 minutes one can able to go back home. We don’t recommend driving, but instead the patients can have someone to drive them back home.
- We use modern advanced hair transplantation techniques producing results, which are visually undetectable even under closest inspection.
- The FUT procedure does leave behind a scar on the scalp, but is not detectable if the patient does not shave his entire head or sports shorter hair styles.
- There will be new hair growth generation around three or four month post operation. It takes around at least six to eight months for new hair generation to notice a significant cosmetic distinctness to appearance.
* Cosmetic surgery benefits and results varies and are different from person to person. As such, it cannot guarantee any specific outcomes.